Safety Ladders News Roundup - June

Safety Ladders News Roundup - June

30th June 2014

Ladder safety is an issue that gives cause for concern on a regular basis here in Britain.  We at Safety Fabrications are dedicated to providing our customers with the safest equipment possible.  Every month we scour the internet for news on ladders so that we can keep our readers up to date with what’s going on in the world of ladders and access equipment.  This is our news roundup offering for the month of June.  It would be interesting to know what you, the readers, think of the stories that feature here.  Please join in by adding your comments below the regular news roundup postings.

First up in June is the case of a window cleaner whose ladder “pinged out” from under him whilst he was working on the windows of a two storey home in Fife.  With the homeowners away on holiday, 34 year old Craig Galloway was stuck after his fall from the ladder and had to drag himself from behind the property to call for help.  Nearby residents rushed to the rescue and an ambulance was called.  Mr. Galloway underwent a five hour operation to rebuild a shattered leg and his window cleaning career is now well and truly over.

Meanwhile a 13 year old boy from Edinburgh is in serious condition at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary following a freak accident.  Whilst collecting kit for a school trip at the family home, the boy fell from a ladder and his neck became tangled in ropes.  He was discovered by his younger sister and remains in serious condition.  Two neighbouring doctors rushed from next door to help.

Ruthing Coroner’s Court heard the tragic case of Gethin Kirwan and 35 years old man who fell around 40ft from the top of a ladder last year.  Mr. Kirwan had a history of alcohol and drug abuse and had begun to turn his life around at the time of the accident.  He was helping a friend who runs a cladding company (although he was not formally employed with the company) and, despite being told not to climb the ladder or start any work until the friend returned from buying their breakfast, he disregarded this request.  The death was ruled accidental and it was discovered that Mr. Kirwan’s toxicology reports showed high levels of methadone (prescribed to fight heroin addiction) which was described as being in the “potentially lethal range”.

A Peterborough engineering company was fined £10,000 after an employee suffered serious injuries when he fell from a ladder onto a wooden floor.  The 23 year old man from Durham shattered his elbow and fractured an arm and a leg when he fell more than four metres whiles installing audio-visual equipment at a school in North Yorkshire.  The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) discovered that the extension ladders used had not been secured and that there was not anti slip device or any other measure being used to provide stability.  It was also discovered that the work had not been adequately assessed and planned by the engineering company involved.