Safety Ladders News Roundup - July 2016

Safety Ladders News Roundup - July 2016

04th August 2016

Ladder safety hits the headlines on a regular basis here in Britain so we offer our readers a regular news roundup blog for safety ladders.  Once a month, one of our blog posts deals with news stories from the past month that deal with ladders of all types.  It would be interesting to know what you, the readers, think of the stories that feature here.  Please join in by adding your comments below the regular news roundup postings.

While carrying out raids of properties in a crackdown on the supply of drugs in Weymouth, Dorset police discovered a haul of stolen goods including toolkits, torches, work lights, cement mixers, ladders and power tools.  These are all high value goods probably stolen from works vehicles and police are warning local tradespeople to be vigilant in the face of such crimes.

A plumber has saved a young woman from a house fire by using the work ladders from his van to gain access to the first floor window where she was trapped.  Gareth Astbury climbed onto the porch roof of the blazing property while his wife, Kerry, rang the fire brigade then fetched the ladders from his vehicle so that Gareth and the unfortunate lady could use them to climb down from the garage roof.

Blyth Lighthouse which was built in 1907 has been restored to its former glory in time for the Tall Ships Regatta.  The Lighthouse which sit at the end of Blyth’s east pier was given a £20,000 makeover with repair being carried out by a Tyneside based company.  The work was a challenge as the company could not use ladders or scaffolding and had to gain access to the lighthouse by descending from ropes.  A six man team was involved in the restoration project which took 12 days and has returned the lighthouse to its original condition when it proudly aided ships entering Blyth Harbour.

A building site manager has been convicted of gross negligence manslaughter after a 40 year old worker died when he fell through a skylight.  Even after the fatal accident, the site manager continued to put workers’ lives at risk according to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).  A joint investigation by the HSE and Leicestershire Police discovered that the worker who was killed was asked to fit windows on the first floor of a building and died after falling 3 metres through an open skylight.  HSE inspectors issued an immediate prohibition notice on the site manager and ordered a halt to any work at height.  However, on two subsequent visits, inspectors discovered that the work had continued, despite the prohibition notice and the site manager was arrested for breaching the order with investigations revealing that:

·         No scaffolding had been provided in the area where the windows were to be fitted.

·         There was no safe method of transferring the windows to the first floor where the only access was a broken and untethered ladder.

·         Ladders were not properly secured and one was balanced in a pile of sand

·         No personal protective equipment was being used on site

·         There was no qualified first aider on site.

·         Openings on the ceilings of the first and second floors were not guarded

·         Scaffolding was not properly secured onsite.