Toolbox Talks for Construction Company Owners and Employees
Safety is a vital issue in the construction industry, whether this is safety when working at height using access equipment and ladders or safety on site in general. Construction remains a risky business, despite stringent health and safety legislation designed to reduce the risks and minimise injuries and deaths in the workplace. The UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has provided Toolbox Talks, short presentations on a single aspect of health and safety, that employers can use to raise awareness and educate the workforce on a single issue at a time.
Smaller companies can take advantage of the Health and Safety Induction Pack, featuring slides and speaker notes designed for a short inductions session for workers newly arriving on site.
There is a range of Toolbox Talks available from the government website, some in PowerPoint, some in PDF format and some as video presentations. All of these presentations are available from the government website, free of charge, for construction company owners to use as a free resource.
Some of the Toolbox Talks and other “Busy Builder” resources available are as follows:
- “Watch Your Step” – a 5-minute video presentation containing case studies (including the story of an injury) which is accompanied by an information booklet and poster as part of the pack.
- “Safe Use of Ladders and Stepladders” INDG455 - a leaflet that replaces the following resources: “INDG402 Safe Use of Ladders and Stepladders: An Employer’s Guide”; “INDG403 A Toolbox Talk on leaning ladder and stepladder safety”; and “INDG405 Top tips for ladder and stepladder safety”.
- “Falls from Vehicles - Toolbox Talk for Construction Workers” – a free to download PowerPoint presentation.
- “Running a small construction site” – a free to download PowerPoint presentation covering safety on site for workers and passers-by.
- “Roof Work” – a free to download PowerPoint presentation on safe working on or near roofs.
- “Manual Handling on Site” – a free to download PowerPoint presentation on manual handling with advice for construction company owners on best practice and effective solutions.
- “Welfare” – a free to download PowerPoint presentation on welfare facilities on small construction sites with advice for contractors and the self-employed who are legally responsible for ensuring that there are adequate welfare facilities for workers under their control.
When it comes to delivering a Toolbox Talk accompanied by a PowerPoint presentation or other on-screen resource, keeping the attention of your audience is vital. Employees often lose interest when presentations are lengthy, so increase the level of engagement by keeping your Toolbox Talks short – between 5 and 15 minutes, depending on the amount of information you need to get across.
Taking advantage of the free resources available in the form of “Toolbox Talks” will bring benefits to your company, including:
- A reduction in the number of incidents and accidents
- An increase in production and production time
- Ensuring that your employees are prepared to perform their jobs in a safe manner