The Benefits of Aluminium
There are so many places in businesses, factories and commercial premises here in the UK where staff are required to work at height and one of the most common solutions is an aluminium walkway. After all, these walkways that are designed to provide access in so many situations represent the perfect solution as they are so versatile. Walkways will provide safe access for so many tasks in so many different premises, whether indoors or outdoors.
An aluminium walkway can be used to provide a permanent safe route across a roof, whether for cleaning, maintenance or inspection purposes and, if the correct walkway is installed, there may be no need for fall arrest personal protective equipment (PPE). In cases where PPE and fall arrest equipment is required, this can be combined with the walkway to ensure safety. Guardrail posts, handrails and toe boards combine to offer an extra level of safety when workers are required to perform tasks in so many areas that are otherwise difficult to access.
Despite being lightweight, aluminium access equipment is also very strong and robust, making aluminium a popular choice when it comes to ladders, walkways and other access equipment. Aluminium offers so many benefits:
- Aluminium walkways, ramps and stairs can be quickly assembled once on site – the components usually arrive on site ready built to code and are often adjustable to conform to on-site variations.
- Shipping and transportation costs are likely to be lower than any comparable steel systems due to the lightweight nature of aluminium.
- This means that aluminium components and systems can be easily moved from one location to another.
- Aluminium has a high strength to weight ratio, making walkways, ramps and steps lightweight, yet sturdy.
- Aluminium requires very little maintenance and its natural oxide layer protects the material from the harsh weather which means no rusting.
- The oxide layer of aluminium is self-repairing and, when scratched, will spontaneously reform, making it last longer.
- Aluminium is a highly sustainable material as it can be recycled over and over again. In fact, The Aluminium Association reckons that almost 75% of all aluminium that has ever been produced is still being used today! It does not lose any of its properties when recycled and the recycling process uses a mere 5% of the energy required to produce virgin aluminium. This makes aluminium a very valuable scrap metal.
Aluminium is therefore a valued material in construction and other industries. Access solutions that comprise aluminium walkways, step units, ladders are robust, long-lasting, easy to transport and assemble and, above all, versatile. Whatever the access solution required, it’s a sure bet that aluminium components will feature somewhere in the mix – it really is a wonder material.