To provide a companionway ladder for maintenance personnel to access the upper roof.
The station built in 1927 and designed by, Henry Neal, the chief officer, it was originally home to six fire engines, two turntable ladders, three ambulances and lorries for salvage work. Having performed magnificently for over 70 years the station it was due its £4.5 million re-fit in 2009.
As part of this re-fit the fire service recognized their responsibility under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Working at Height Regulations 2005 to provide a “Safe Means of Access, both to and from a place of work”. In this instance for maintenance personnel, the place of work is on the roof top. Due to the pitch of the roof and the aesthetics of the building our customer required that the ladder achieve minimal visual impact.
What we supplied:
We worked with the customer to design a companionway ladder in accordance with BS 5395 which would provide a safe means of access up the roof.
Due to the complex geometry of the roof we supplied the ladder in component form for the customer to build on site.